Crowns and Bridges
Dr. Naem is a cosmetic dentist in Pomona, NY. A dental crown is a form of cosmetic dentistry that is used to conceal the visible and non visible imperfections of a tooth. In a literal sense, a dental crown is simply a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over a tooth so that it is completely covered. It is used most often to restore the size, shape, strength and appearance to a tooth. A dental crown is able to accomplish this by encasing the entire portion of the tooth that is exposed above the gum line.
A dental crown can be useful in the following circumstances:
- To protect a tooth that has been weakened by decay and prevent it from breaking
- To hold pieces of a cracked tooth together
- If you have a tooth that is already broken or severely worn down
- To cover and provide support for a tooth with massive structural damage, such as a large cavity
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To conceal misshapen or discolored teeth
- As part of a dental implant, to restore the natural function of the tooth
- If you have had a root canal, to cover that tooth.
A dental crown can also be used as part of a bridge, to hold it in place. A bridge is basically just a false tooth that is suspended between two natural teeth. Before the prosthetic can be attached, however, a dental crown needs to be placed over both natural teeth. Afterward, the prosthetic is cemented between the two anchor teeth to be held in place permanently. Once the prosthetic is put in place, the gap left by a missing tooth is closed, allowing you to eat and speak more clearly.
A dental crown can last anywhere between five to 15 years. To learn more, you will need to speak with a cosmetic dentist. Pomona residents can contact Dr. Naem to find out if they are eligible to receive a dental crown.